There is a sweet and wonderful single mom at our church who has been battling brain cancer for the past 15 months. As you can imagine Covid 19 is especially dangerous for her in her immuno compromised condition. She made the decision to pull her child from school about 1 week before all our schools closed. She and her 7 yr old Charlie are practicing social distancing HARD, as they should, to protect her health.
Being trapped in a small apartment with an energetic 7 year old when your feeling pretty lousy from cancer treatment is tough. There are plenty of people who would step up and take Charlie out for walks or to the park but it’s just not worth the risk to her health and she’s been seeking suggestions on activities to help occupy his time.
I decided that I could make him some cards that he could mail to the friends he hasn’t been able to see since schools closed. I hoped that writing notes to his friends would take up some of his time and help him stay in touch with classmates. I made about 10 cards for Charlie and did a “contactless” delivery to their sidewalk.
Here is one of them:
Lawn Fawn Stamp Sets:
Lawn Fawn Lawn Cuts:
- Neenah 80# Super Smooth Solar White Cardstock (for stamped images)
- Neenah 110# Classic Crest White (for card base and double slider pieces)
- Tim Holtz Distress Oxide ink pads in:
- Copic Opaque White
- Copic markers
- Lawn Fawn Liquid Stardust
- Ranger Perfect Pearls in Gold
- clear embossing ink pad & white embossing powder
- 1/8″ Scor-Tape
- liquid glue
- craft foam
- Stamp and color the images you want to use.
- Die cut your images and all the parts for your Double Slider Surprise feature.
- Ink blend a galaxy background on your card base, the front piece of the Double Slider Surprise and the 2 sliding panels.
- Stamp and emboss any of the constellations you want.
- Using watered down Copic Opaque White and gold Perfect Pearls mixed with Lawn Fawn Liquid Stardust spatter your galaxy backgrounds; let dry completely!
- Assemble your Double Slider Surprise interactive feature. Make sure that everything moves smoothly!
- Carefully attach the images you colored and cut out making sure they are glued securely and flat against the sliding panels and do not affect sliding mechanism. Attach pull tabs if desired.
- I attached some craft foam to the back of the Double Slider Surprise with liquid glue (to give a little more room for fingers to pull the tabs) then attached it to the ink blended base.